While most global tourists often look for a trusted names or boutique luxury, Moroccan tourists still opt for the traditionalism in aesthetic and culture that the country brings. As a result, the nation is one of the only places in the world where people would rather stay in historic traditional homes that have been re-equipped to cater to foreign clientele, than try the nearby 5-stars and whatnot.
Dar Les Cigognes captured the essence of that movement. It encapsulates the bear beautify of Moroccan orientalist architecture, with consistent decor and a great helping hand of impeccable hospitality. In fact, the hotel does that so well that is gives other luxury hotels a run for their money in terms of comfort level and overall beauty.
What was once a rich merchant’s house opposite the palace in the city, small hotels rarely come more stylish and intimate than this one. With an understated entrance and a knack for unabashed luxury and the help of celebrity architect Charles Boccara, the creators of Dar Les Cigognes have turned two heritage-drenched riads into a boutique hotel. Dar Les Cigognes translates as ‘the storks’ in French, as you can see them circling the skies.
This is truly a remarkable place to stay in the city of Marrakech for the traveller who is keen on absorbing some more culture during their travels.
- Globe Trotting: Post-Colonial Luxuriance: The Villas of Marrakech, Morocco (curbed.com)
- Hotel Corail here we come – Marrakech, Morocco (travelpod.com)
- La Maison Arabe Introduces Morocco’s First Raw Food Menu at Les Trois Saveurs Restaurant (moroccotomorrow.org)
- Marrakech holidays bridge the past and present (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Cigogne (french-word-a-day.typepad.com)
- Marrakech ‘will be 2011 travel hotspot’ (confused.com)
- Home Away from Home: Castles in the Sand (casasugar.com)
- Marrakech holiday review: Life and luxury in magical Morocco (mirror.co.uk)
- The End Is Near – Marrakech, Morocco (travelpod.com)
- Morocco on My Mind (casasugar.com)
- YSL´s oasis in Marrakech ! (adrianatalkstoyou.wordpress.com)
- Home Away From Home: Hotel La Mamounia (casasugar.com)
- Hotel Investment Conference Africa: Destination Morocco (moroccotomorrow.org)
- Marrakesh, Atlas mountains then Ouarzazte – Ouarzazate, Morocco (travelpod.com)