When was the last time you ate excrement? Well, some Indonesians do so on daily basis. Kopi luwak is one of the world’s most expensive and low-production coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.
A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet’s intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world.
We had it and it was lovely. It actually tasted very similar or Arabic coffee.
- Kopi Luwak – Indonesia’s special coffee from Semarang Java (baliblog.com)
- Kopi Luwak cat-poop coffee may get Muslim ban (newslite.tv)
- New foodie tours explore little-known world cuisines and delicacies (gadling.com)
- Flashpacker Life Tries Luwak Coffee (flashpackerlife.com)
- Grossest foods in the world….cont’d (tooboots.wordpress.com)
- Indonesian Muslims get OK to drink expensive civet coffee (thestar.com)
- Indonesian Muslims allowed to drink civet coffee (msnbc.msn.com)
- Coffee made of civet cat droppings is halal, Indonesian mullahs declare (theglobeandmail.com)
- Kopi Luwak- The verdict (petaonpuckle.wordpress.com)
- Indonesian mullahs say Muslims can drink coffee from cat droppings _ the world’s priciest java (foxnews.com)